Sunday, February 24, 2013

Bringing a book back to life

Yo, yo, we are back!  And it feels so great!  I guess I need to introduce myself and tell you just who "we" is, right?  I'm Dorothy Thompson.  Most people know me from Pump Up Your Book but what they don't know is that I've had a little secret I've been hiding all these years.  Actually the secret was buried, but now...we've brought it back to life.  We, as in Heide AW Kaiminski and Pamela Lawnizak, my co-authors of a book we wrote back in '06 called The Search for the Million $$$ Ghost.

So the story goes like this.  The book was published in 2006 by a new small press publisher who we thought we could trust.  As it turned out, they weren't to be trusted.  A few months after our book was published, they went bankrupt taking all the royalties with them.  We never saw a dime.  Upset is a huge understatement.

Years down the road, I asked a lawyer friend what she thought of the situation.  Do we have our rights back?  Can we bring this book back to life and not get in trouble?

She looked over the contract, assessed the situation and the answer made my day.  Yes, we have our rights back and we can bring the book back to life.

That was step one.  I also knew that the book was never edited.  I'm still catching typos in the one book I was able to get my hands on.  They even added typos that weren't there if that makes sense.  I know, I have the book and the manuscript and I don't know what they were thinking but it was a mess.  It's a wonder we even got pretty decent (actually terrific) reviews from this.

Step two is where we're at now.  Editing.  I'm also enlisting a friend who edits for a living to help me with this.  When you have three people writing the same book, there are bound to be inconsistencies so I want to make sure the book flows from one page to the other and you can't tell where one author stopped and the other started.

As I'm going through the book and working on it chapter by chapter, I am really impressed with this.  A lot I had forgotten about.  I couldn't even tell you all the names of the characters, it's been so long.

It's probably going to be re-released this summer.  And..we're going to self-publish it which I am so excited about.  So a lot will have to happen before you can read it but what I would like to do on this blog is take you along  for the ride.  Will you come along with us?

2 comments:

  1. Wow Dorothy, that's just miserable about your experience with that publishing company! I can't image co-authoring with two others! Do you all know each other face to face or just virtually? Sounds like a really compelling plot, by the way. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're online pals. Never saw each other ever...which made it really interesting!

    ReplyDelete